After Shadow Priest had changes in 10.1, a new Mage Redesigns is coming in Dragonflight Patch 10.1.5.
All three Mage specs are set to get some big changes in Dragonflight patch 10.1.5. If we're honest, it certainly seemed like it was coming, given that Mage got so few updates during the 10.1 PTR cycle. So, let's take an early look at what's to come based on what Blizzard have stated. We'll include full changes once Blizzard gives us access to them.
Mage Redesigns Coming in Dragonflight Patch 10.1.5
Blizzard has hit on a few key points that they want to address when looking at Mage in 10.1.5. You can read it in Blizzard's own words here, but we'll summarize what was said below.
- The Mage Class tree has a lot of utility and survival talents but they feel difficult to navigate right now
- A number of abilities will become baseline to combat this
- Rune of Power will be removed
- 3 new capstone abilities will replace Shifting Power and Meteor
Rune of Power is gone
- Power lost from Rune of Power removal to go into other abilities
- Not an easy decision, but felt the right choice long-term
- Rune of Power is too restrictive as a talent
- Removals allows them to shift damage to other talents without Mages needing to stand still
- Blizzard feel like it will be hard for people to get used to at first. But they think it's the right change
- Capstones reduced from 5 to 3
- Capstones are providing problematic in current format
- Only Time Anomaly/Temporal Warp will be the only capstone to offer power
- Ice Cold is new, and will modify Ice Block, allowing you to cast inside it. But removing the immunity to damage in place of taking reduced damage
- Mass Invisibility and Mass Barrier, which as the names imply allow you to cast Invisibility on your nearby allies or cast your Specialization’s Barrier on up to 3 nearby allies.
- Arcane to get more AoE damage
- Spec to gain more utility
- Arcane Barrage and Clearcasting will become baseline
- Orb Barrage capstone to be changed to feel more in line with the ability in Legion
- New talent, Concentrated Power will add purpose to CLearcasting and Arcane Explosion while in AoE situations.
Arcane Tree Layout
- Tree to have more flexible
- Changes designed to give Arcane extra points to play with, while adding more power to the baseline kit
Fire and Frost
- Early PTR will focus on Arcane, with Fire and Frost getting more love later
- Fire has a lack of build variety right now, which Blizzard plan to change.
- Blizzard want more variety in the AoE damage for Fire
- Frost will see changes to unpicked talents, as Blizzard looks to alter the “Meta”
- Ray of Frost and Glacial Spike are highlights, as abilities that add variety, but currently don't offer the same level of damage
- Blizzard will look to end “minimal Ice Lance”, as it's an unintended play style
- Ice Lance is supposed to be an impactful button
- Blizzard and Cold Snap likely to become baseline
- Icy Veins currently requires too many other talents before it feels impactful. Blizzard intent to change that in this PTR pass